Friday, September 18, 2009

Treatments and Results

Well, over the last month, my blood sugars have undergone a dramatic transformation. From the 300-400's when I was first diagnosed, down now to the consistently normal range. Just because it's something I wanted to do, here's a couple of charts of what my am (fasting) and pm (after dinner) sugars have looked like:


As you can see, I responded very well to my treatment. Specifically, I started taking 500mg of Metformin at lunch and 15 Units of Lantus insulin at bedtime on 8/18. I increased my Lantus to 19 Units on 8/26, 23 Units on 9/3, and then tweaked it up to 24 Units on 9/11. My Metformin was similar, increasing it to 500mg twice a day on 8/29, 1500mg total on 9/5, and then my final dose of 2000mg a day on 9/12.

For now, it looks like I've got good control. Now if I can just get a handle on my weight loss as well...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Chris. I'm the owner of the metroburbgamers blog and I follow your gamerchris blog. I'm also out of shape and prediabetic so I've found this blog inspirational. I've been working out hard and controlling me eating since first reading this blog about a week before I got my abnormal results from my doc. So thanks for this and goodwork on getting healthy. I wish you only the best. If you are ever in Massachusetts look me up and we can game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for speaking up! I wish you the best with your efforts as well, and I hope that you are able to prevent or at least delay the progression into actual diabetes.

    But also keep in mind that, unlike what you hear from the media these days, it's not just about diet and exercise. I'm still a little confused about the research I've read myself, but not everyone can prevent this disease. I certainly don't want to wish it on you or anyone else, but I guess that I want to make it clear that, just like heart disease or many other diseases, it's not always a matter of people "failing" at caring for their health. If you've got bad genes, sometimes you're just going to have to deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that's a downer ;-) I guess anything the gets me to take better care of myself is a good thing. I'll worry about the inevitability part after I take off 30 or 40 pounds. As far as I know I have 0 family history of this so it's probably more about what I've done to my body for the last 15+ years.

    Best wishes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete