Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Busy Day

I finally saw my doctor today. I was nervous, more about what his thoughts on treatment would be rather than about my condition itself, but I shouldn't have been. Dr. Lamb is completely fantastic, and after listening to my thoughts on how we should approach this, he agreed. In fact, he said that this treatment was what he would have suggested anyway. So, what did he prescribe?

I'm going to start with Lantus insulin 15U before bedtime, which I'll titrate weekly based on my average fasting blood sugars. I'll also be taking metformin, starting at 500mg per day and increasing every week until I'm taking 1000mg twice a day. While the idea of taking insulin isn't exactly thrilling me right now, I'm really pleased that I have a plan for treatment and that I have confidence in the efficacy of that plan.

He also gave me a referral for the Lifestyle Center that is associated with our hospital. I went by there at lunch and made an appointment for Friday to sign paperwork, do an assessment, talk about some basic tips, and set our initial goals. The staff over there seem really nice, and I'm looking forward to that as well.

Of course, I'm also looking forward to my family's beach trip next week. Samantha (my 16-month old) loves both the water and sand, so I'm sure that we'll all have a great time watching and playing with her. But I am a little concerned about how I'll eat while on vacation. Meals are usually like the focus of the day for us at the beach, and I've got to concentrate on making better choices.

But that's enough for now. I've already taken my first dose of metformin with lunch, and I'll be making my first injection before bed. Here's to the start of a new era!

1 comment:

  1. Chris, I didn't get a chance to tell you on Tuesday that I'm feeling for you and sorry to hear about this.

    Like you said, you're starting a new era and that's a pretty darn big deal. But a smart fellar like yourself will have no problem mastering the strategy of handling this just like you always quickly pick up on how best to thrash your friends in so many games on Tuesdays.

    Doubtlessly the whole group at Hypermind has got your back, though we shall give you no quarter in gaming with you.

    As a big time veggies fan and the cook extraordinaire at my house, I'd be happy to lay some of my favorite flavor-packed recipes on you anytime.

    ReplyDelete